Friday, January 17, 2014-Sunday, January 19, 2014
Art Deco Weekend
THE MIAMI DESIGN PRESERVATION LEAGUE is excited to celebrate a time when Shirley Temple danced and sang her way into our hearts, Mickey Mouse debuted as Steamboat Willie, and Yo-Yos made their way to America. THE ART DECO ERA also saw the birth of longtime classic board games such as Scrabble and Monopoly, and Mahjong and Domino tiles were made of the new, unbreakable plastic called Bakelite. The 1930s saw children claiming the Rubber Duck as their favorite bath toy, Girl Scouts selling their Cookies door-to-door, and Superman leaping his first building in a single bound. Future architects used brand new Legos and Lincoln Logs to design and build their first structural creations.
You might say the Art Deco Era was especially magical for children, and ART DECO WEEKEND 2014 will be a chance to relive HISTORY's MOST PLAYFUL TIME!
• Allan Harris, Doug Wimbish, Suénalo, the All-Star Art Deco Weekend Band, and others will play the Music Festival Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.
• In the spirit of the 2014 "At Play" theme, Post Foods is sponsoring an Art Deco Playground created "Just For Kids."
• Don't forget the always-popular Art Deco Weekend Fashion Show, Saturday afternoon.
• This Year's Film Festival features "The Great Gatsby" (2013) and "Chicago" (2002) ... and the "Just for Kids" Film Series, including a number of movies and shorts starring Shirley Temple, The Little Rascals, and Our Gang.
• New for the 37th Annual Art Deco Weekend is THE ANTIQUE EXPERIENCE, a more intensely focused ART DECO area (11th Street & Ocean Drive), where visitors can emerse themselves in the period's information, entertainment, and importantly, Antiques and Objects to buy. CLICK HERE FOR ANTIQUE EXPERIENCE DETAILS /// >>> ///
— St. Louis' Sarah Jane & the Blue Notes will appear at the Antique Experience stage, playing sets (including their popular Billie Holiday tribute) Friday and Saturday nights.
• Again, the Miami Design Preservation League will offer a number of guided personal and group tours of Ocean Drive and the Art Deco District of Miami Beach. The tours are often cited atop the list of the Weekend's most enjoyable activities.
CLICK HERE FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF AVAILABLE TOURS AND TO MAKE RESERVATIONS AND PURCHASE TICKETS IN ADVANCE /// >>> ///
PLAY ALONG! HAVE FUN! WIN PRIZES!
In the spirit of 2014's "At Play" theme, the Miami Design Preservation League is hosting two Interactive Games to be played on Ocean Drive and in Lummus Park over the course of Art Deco Weekend.
A game of DECOPOLY will be played both Saturday and Sunday. All attendees (young and old) are welcome and encouraged to participate.
ALSO (#SobeShirley) — Find instructions/details regarding a second (social media) interactive game being played Saturday (1/18), and Sunday (1/19) during ADW 2014.